Thursday, August 12, 2010

crime stoppers

After a particularly stressful day I returned home with one thing on my mind. Pizza. Hot, greasy, burn-the-roof-of-your-mouth-on-the-cheese pizza. Also on my mind (ok so that makes 2 things) was a leave-it-all-on-the-floor workout. Justifiably a slobbery, pepperoni pizza would make an amazing reward.

My workout was perfect. It was strong and sweaty and spot on. I had pushed myself and felt great. My evening was looking up! Next step pizza!!

I mentioned my dinner idea to Mr. C who looked at me quizzically. Pizza hadn't been on the menu in months and what about the no-dairy/clean eating thing? Not only that but our entire house was soaking up the aroma of the lean pork tenderloin that had been stewing in a sauce of honey, nutmeg, apple cider vinegar and tomato (yup just 4 ingredients) all day. I knew he also had a crappy day so I didn't think I'd have to twist his arm - come on everyone needs to give a little! I told him to make the decision while I showered and returned to the kitchen to find him looking at the pork. Ok, I relented but insisted that I chop up some fresh veggies (zucchini and onions).

Dinner was delicious. The pork was so tender (oh my gosh that sauce was amazing!) and the zucchini and onions (tossed in my wok with a smidge of olive oil) were the perfect consistency.

Mr. C looked up at me over his plate and said 5 simple words, "You could have convinced me." I knew it was true and I also knew that had he called in an order, I would've been all over it. We're partners in crime and last night the crime was a pizza that would've left us feeling bloated and guilty. We're in this together. Will we never eat pizza again? Of course we will. But it will be a treat, not a band aide for a rough day. It will be savored and enjoyed. I'm proud of our decision and I told him so.

No comments:

Post a Comment