Tuesday, June 29, 2010

birds of a feather

I know I've touched on this a bit in past posts but after an amazing night of Wings, I have to bring it up again. When I began Lithe, I understood my legs would probably tone up and hoped that I'd lose a couple inches. What I never expected was the definition I'm seeing in my arms.

Pre-Lithe, my arms were something of a mystery to me. I never thought about them much until it was time to get my wedding dress. Then I looked at them long... and hard... and from every angle. I decided that they just weren't cutting it - heck, they weren't "cut" at all. At the time I was working out like a madwoman but all the cardio in the world (coupled w/ a few arm exercises) just weren't getting me the results I wanted. I resigned myself to the fact that I probably wouldn't have super defined arms. Ever? Maybe ever.

I started taking Wings because the Monday evening class fell neatly into my schedule. And, oh, while I'm at it I'll get an arm workout in. HA! Carrie had other ideas for my wimpy little arms and it quickly became one of my favorite classes. (How or why I even thought any Lithe class would not kick my butt into shape is beyond me.)

Last night I looked around the class of fellow Lithers and thought "Wow, we've all come a long way." I remember the first class when Carrie called for a series of arm exercises that nearly reduced me to tears. My arms hurt so badly that I had zero form and just gutted it out. Last night was different... it was still tough but I realized that I was working through the series without wanting to die. I'm not gutting it out. I'm watching my form - picking up heavier weights - challenging myself - and before I know it the class is over! Mind you, it's not a walk in the park, but I felt really proud of myself. I felt proud of the other ladies in that class too. No matter how much weight is strapped to our wrists or in our hands - together - the Monday night flock is growing stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment