Tuesday, July 27, 2010

i scream. you scream.

As promised, I wanted to share a really great homemade ice cream recipe with you. That's right! I made my own dairy free ice cream and it was just delicious. Not only that but the recipe called for 3 ingredients. 1. 2. 3. That's it! No sugars - no artificial flavors - no artificial sweeteners or colors! I made... Coconut Mike Ice Cream and we loved it!

Now please keep in mind that it's still not calorie free (what ice cream is??!) but it really is an easy alternative to the bought stuff that I craved and I felt so much better about eating it. I have to admit, after really thinking about what is in my ice cream it kind of grossed me out. Sure it tastes great but what am I putting in my body?

Ingredients:

2 large whole eggs or 4 yolks (I used 2 eggs of normal to small size from a local farmer)

1/2 cup maple syrup or honey (I used honey that we also picked up for a local farmer)

2 cans full fat coconut milk (not the light or reduced fat)

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl 1 to 2 minutes, until they are light and fluffy.

Whisk in the honey (or maple syrup) until well blended.

Pour in coconut milk and whisk again to blend well.

Freeze according to your ice cream machine instructions.

Servings: 1 quart of ice cream

I froze the freezer bowl for 16+ hours before making the ice cream. After the freezer bowl was frozen it took about 20 minutes for the mixture to become creamy and ready to eat. The whole process took (maybe) 30 mins.

Tip: Shallow, flat containers are best for freezing and storing ice cream to promote an even consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment